This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST51NE YEOVIL CP PRINCES STREET (West side) ST5516SE
2/80 United Reformed Church 5/80 -
Church, built 1878; by T. Lewis Banks. Ham stone ashlar with some polychromy; Welsh slate roof with ornamental clay ridge tiles between coped gables.
Notionally 2-storeys, in a Romanesque style. Street facade is actually an end gable proud of two short side wings, giving effectively 3-bays: projecting central doorway with semi-circular recessed arch of three orders, corbelled gable; doorway flanked on each side by semi-circular headed window and buttress to pilaster: above a 5-window arcade with semi-circular arches having pink marble columns; gable corbelled and bearing 1878 datestone. The side wings lower, with semi-circular headed doorways and long thin semi-circular headed windows above. South return elevation in random local stone with ashlar dressings, of 6-bays, with shouldered flat-arch windows to ground floor and semi-circular arched windows above. The 1901 rooms and the asbestos cement sheeting clad buildings to the rear not of interest. Interior: extended gallery at 'West' end, below which are C20 meeting rooms, and a 3-bay double colonnade with Byzantine caps (inserted 1923); fittings of 1878. Replaces earlier chapel of 1792 (set back from road, between nos 11 and 15).
Listing NGR: ST5550916021
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Asbestos, Ashlar, Brick, Clay, Ham Hill Stone, Stone, Tile, Welsh Slate, Victorian United Reformed Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Congregational Chapel, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship