This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5516SE YEOVIL CP CHURCH STREET (North side)
5/11 St Johns Schoolrooms
Schoolrooms erected 1816/7. Ham stone ashlar in a Quasi-collegiate manner, Welsh slated roof between coped gables, each gable crowned by short stone chimney stack. 2-storey 5-bay facade to Church Street, with a big arched recessed porch in Tudor style centrally with steps up, and plinth all around; tall 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with flat heads and linked label moulds at both levels, with string course to first floor cill level and stone eaves moulding.
On the return Church Path elevation are the main gable, a short extension and a smaller gable: the main gable has corbelled projecting chimney stack as main feature, flanked by matching 3-light mullioned and transomed windows at each level, the centre light of the first floor windows being raised; the windows are repeated in the one-bay extension and second gable (first floor only), beneath this last pair of pointed arched entrance doorways: above and between them a good oblong sculptured panel. The interior not seen. Erected to replace the earlier (1618) Sunday Schools which stood in Vicarage Street, and incorporating the Chantry (q.v.).
Listing NGR: ST5561916050
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Welsh Slate, Victorian Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Schoolroom, Education