This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST51NW YEOVIL CP WATERCOMBE LANE (West side)
1/118 Watercombe Farm House
House (possibly once divided). Probably C17 late on visible evidence Ham stone, squared in random courses, with ashlar quoins and dressings to openings, concrete double Roman pattern roof tiles possibly on the original frame - one long roof between coped gables; 3-brick stacks with simple capping - the brick stepping remaining on one side stack suggests the roof was formerly thatched.
2-storeys, 5-bays, with 2-modern doorways to ground floor in simple surrounds between three A-light ovolo moulded mullioned windows with label moulds and leaded panes, the left hand being a modern copy: 2 and 3-light windows to first floor, again the left-hand a modern copy. To South side a lean-to (the former cheeseroom) with arched opening and double Roman tiled lean-to roof, now serving as garage. Interior not seen. For a while this house served as the Dairy and Cheese House to Abbey Farm (q.v.): documentary evidence suggests that it may have existed before 1655. (Hall, Sir R. de Z. 'Post Medieval Land Tenure, Preston Plucknett' 1961 SANHS Proceedings Vol. 105).
Listing NGR: ST5387215966
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Concrete, Ham Hill Stone, Thatch, Tile, Stuart Cheese Loft, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Dairy, Food And Drink Processing Site, Garage, Transport, Road Transport Site