This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST02SE ASHBRITTLE CP
6/1 Church of St John the Baptist 25.1.56
Church. C15. North aisle, tower and chancel rebuilt, nave restored circa 1874.
Random rubble red sandstone with Ham stone dressings, tiled roofs circa 1970 over nave, late C19 over chancel. 3-bay nave with North aisle and Lady chapel, the nave and chancel of earlier church, South porch, West tower. 3-stage tower, crenellated parapet, offset buttresses, stair turret. South side chancel 2-light windows flanking pointed arch doorway, large 6-light Perpendicular window divided into two 3-light sub arches East of porch, elsewhere 3-light Perpendicular.
Annex on North aisle, rood loft stairs projection North aisle. Gabled C19 South porch. Interior: rendered. 3-bay aisle, capitals with leaf bands, depressed pointed arches. Pulpit painted stone crocketed decoration on 3-sided body supported by a column, approached by stairs with handrail, imported from Barnstaple.
Windows in Lady chapel, late C19 unusual in that they include portraits of the donors and dedicatees. The church restoration of 1874 was paid for by the incumbent, Rev. Charles Penrose Quicke.
Listing NGR: ST0520221358
Copyright IoE Mrs G Martine Allmey. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allmey, G Martine
Rights Holder: Allmey, G Martine
Rubble, Sandstone, Tile, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship