This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST51NW YEOVIL CP PRESTON ROAD (South side)
1/65 Higher Preston Farm House
Farmhouse, built 1649, but subsequently modified; Ham Stone, random coursed with fine face; plain Clay tile roof between coped gables, 2 end chimneys and one uff centre rebuilt in brick. Main South facade has irregular fenestration.
2-storeys, with one 4-light stone mullioned window with ovolo mouldings and label over, off-centre door (relocated) and on right-hand two 2-light mullioned windows with hollow chamfers; on first floor 5-C20 double windows. On North (street) facade two 3-light and one 4-light stone mullioned windows with large rectangular leaded panes, hollow chamfer moulded with labels over; at first floor level two 3-light wooden casements, one with ovolo mouldings, both with leaded panes. Interior not inspected, but Sir R Hall refers to lintol in kitchen fireplace dated 1649, and to elm ceiling beams with scroll stops to chamfers.
The lean-to on the East side and all outbuildings of little interest. (Hall, Sir R. De Z. 'Post Medieval Land Tenure, Preston Plucknett' 1961 S.A.N.H.S.
Proceedings Vol. 105).
Listing NGR: ST5336416201
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Clay, Ham Hill Stone, Tile, Stuart Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building