This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST0827 WIVELISCOMBE CP CHURCH STREET (North side)
8/58 No 27 (West Braynes) and No 29 (East Braynes)
House, now divided into two. C17 with C18 alterations. Red sandstone random rubble masonry with some brick infill round the windows of the centre block, chamfered stone plinth on left wing and centre block with wooden moulded cornice, hipped roof with double Roman tiles, and brick and rendered stacks.
'U'-plan. 2 storeys over basement left and centre, with the right wing 3-storeys sloping site, 2:3:2 bays, sash windows with glazing bars, the first floor windows of the left-hand wing have the thick glazing bars of the early C18, while the ground floor left-hand wing and the first floor right-hand wing have C20 sashes, gables to the casement windows of the second floor right-hand wing break through the eaves. Tuscan porch with diamond pattern frieze, double eight-panel door with fanlight circa 1800, approached by short flight of steps with swept back cast iron railings. The right-hand wing contains a squaredheaded carriage entrance with studded tongue and groove door, with similar, smaller door beside it.
Listing NGR: ST0828027729
Copyright IoE Mrs G Martine Allmey. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allmey, G Martine
Rights Holder: Allmey, G Martine
Brick, Cast Iron, Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Tile, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Domestic, Jacobean Dwelling, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Carriageway, Road, Road Transport Site, Railings, Barrier