This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST0827 WIVELLSCOMBE CP CHURCH STREET (South side)
8/51 Church of St Andrew
Church. 1827-9. Architect Richard Carver. Red sandstone with Ham stone dressings, low pitched Welsh slate roof. Perpendicular Gothic style. 5-bay aisled and clerestoried nave with outer South aisle and 4 gabled porches at corners and polygonal apse (rare survival). Tower at West end with set back buttresses, 3 stages with Somerset tracery in the bell- openings, and embattled parapet. West door with floral decoration in the spandrels. 4-light windows flanking a 5-light window to North aisle. Diagonal buttresses to apse over vaulted undercroft that gives access to catacombs. Rose window of 1915. 4 and 5-light mullioned windows to outer South aisle. Interior plastered. Depressed 4-centre arcade of standard Perpendicular section. Shallow plaster roof with ribs and bosses. Depressed 4-centre chancel arch and painted plaster polygonal chancel apse. Early C19 gallery, now organ loft at West end, inscribed with the name of the architect Richard Carver. Box pews circa 1829. Font octagonal C14 on restored base. Late C19 Cope chest. C20 pulpit incorporating fragments of panelling from the medieval church. C17 pulpit tester, not in use. Imported mid C17 baluster- type altar rails. Tombs: 2 recumbent alabster figures of Humphrey Wyndham, died 1622 and his wife, died 1620, with an alabaster and marble wall tablet above.
Listing NGR: ST0827227675
Copyright IoE Mrs G Martine Allmey. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allmey, G Martine
Rights Holder: Allmey, G Martine
Sandstone, Welsh Slate, Tudor Tomb, Elizabethan Religious Ritual And Funerary, Stuart Funerary Site, Jacobean Church, Place Of Worship, Undercroft, Unassigned, Building Component, Building