This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST0827 WIVELISCOMBE CP THE SQUARE (West side)
8/89 The Town Hall
Town Hall, now shops. 1841-2, and mid C20 shopfronts. Architect Richard Carver.
Brick with Welsh slate roofs. Central block 2-storeys and 3-bays, extending back the depth of the site, with steeply pitched gable roof. Deep wooden eaves form a pediment at the gable end, tympanum contains a clock, with a brick and wood bell-cote with bell above. Round headed sash windows with glazing bars and a string course which is continued around the windows as a hood mould. This fenestration and string course returned on side fronts. Flanking single storey wings with hipped roofs behind brick parapets containing C20 shopfronts, except for extreme left 3:1 bays where original arcades of now painted brick have been filled with plate glass.
Listing NGR: ST0807027794
Copyright IoE Mrs G Martine Allmey. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allmey, G Martine
Rights Holder: Allmey, G Martine
Brick, Glass, Welsh Slate, Wood, Victorian Town Hall, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Shop, Commercial