This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 52SW LEYLAND CHURCH ROAD
8/18 Gateway and boundary wall to - St. Andrew's churchyard
Entrance gateway and retaining wall (which is dated 1827) with railings.
Stone gateway composed of wide Tudor arch with moulded and battlemented coping carried between tall battlemented piers with trefoil panels. The wall, which turns from the foot of the left pier, and runs c.100 metres eastwards, forms a retaining boundary to the churchyard which is elevated c. 3 metres above the road. Eight courses of stone blocks with overhanging rounded coping, on which stand stick-baluster iron railings with Gothic arches formed in the heads, divided into groups of 20 by shaped posts with urn finials, carrying a spiked rail. Incorporated in wall opposite the end of Sandy Lane is the lintel of a former doorway incised "1827". At the west end the wall slopes downwards and has no railings.
Listing NGR: SD5410121612
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Iron, Stone, Gate, Unassigned, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Mixed Cemetery, Cemetery, Funerary Site, Railings