This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 52SW LEYLAND CHURCH ROAD
8/17 Church of St. Andrew 26.7.1951 - II*
Church, consisting of C14 chancel, C15 west tower, and nave of 1817.
Stone, with chancel roof of stone slates, nave roof of copper sheet.
Embattled tower of 4 stages, with diagonal buttresses to the west and angle buttresses to the east, moulded plinth; west door in low Perpendicular arch with hoodmould, west window with C19 tracery, above this is a small niche with moulded jambs and head, and above this again a small roundheaded opening (similar niches and openings on north and south sides, and on the south 6 vertically arranged illumination slits for staircase) clockfaces on 3 sides; belfry windows on all sides, each of 3-lights under low pointed arch; dripmould, with gargoyles on 3 sides, has on west side carvings of a woodcock and 4-petalled flowers (Seth Woodcock was Vicar of Leyland 1488-1516). Nave, dated 1817 on lintels of north and south doors to 1st bay, is of 5 bays, buttressed, with an embattled parapet, 5 tall arched windows of 3-lights with intersecting tracery and low transom at level of internal gallery. Low chancel with steeply pitched roof has a string from which rise 2 arched 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, and a similar but higher east window; and on the south side a low priest's door with moulded arch and hoodmould, continued from the string. North side of chancel enclosed by C19 vestry. Interior: high tower arch (the walls showing line of former nave roof), moulded 2-centred chancel arch; ceiled modern roof; nave galleries on both sides, supported by slim shafted iron columns, the fronts decorated with triple cusp-headed panels; in south wall of chancel are triple sedilia under semi-circular arches with moulded labels, jambs, and sill, including in the same composition to the left a piscina which has 2 floriated bowls; in north wall are a mass squint and an aumbry (lacking doors); numerous wall tablets, mostly to members of the Baldwin family (Vicars from 1748 to 1911). Former Farington chapel in south east corner of nave with memorial tablets, and C18 brass candelabra.
Listing NGR: SD5411121591
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Copper, Stone, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Plaque