This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH BROW --
5/116 South Ribble Squash Club and Parish Rooms -
School, 1835, subsequently enlarged, now substantially altered internally and extended to rear as squash club. Tooled pink sandstone blocks, slate roof with gable chimney composed of 4 octagonal flues. Rectangular range of 6 bays with later extensions to front of first 4 bays, and at right end.
Two storeys in Perpendicular style: moulded plinth, buttresses, bands on 2 levels, hollow moulded eaves cornice, gable copings, all windows double-chamfered stone mullioned with 2 cinquefoil lights and hollow spandrels. In centre is a 2-storey gabled porch 2 bays wide which has 2 doorways linked by a single hoodmould, with arches in the heads and glazed spandrels, above these 2 blank shields,at 1st floor level two 2-light windows, with a single-light window in the gable and an octagonal chimney on its apex. Left of the porch and flush with it is an addition parallel with the main range and extending beyond it. At the right end is a 2-bay extension shallower and lower than the main range, with a flat roofed salient in the angle and 2-storey canted bay to the gable. A relatively large and elaborate National School, close to Church of St. Leonard (q.v.) (F. Coupe Walton le Dale 1954).
Listing NGR: SD5609428115
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Sandstone, Slate, Georgian National School, Victorian Education, Voluntary School, School, Club, Recreational, Squash Court, Racing Sports Site, Sports Site