This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WORSLEY MANCHESTER ROAD SD 70 SW (south side) 1/44 Church of St. Paul (formerly listed 29/7/66 under Peel Lane) G.V. II
Church. 1874-6 with tower added in 1897. By J. M.and H.
Taylor. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, chancel and west tower. Gothic Revival with Decorated details. 4-bay aisles stop short of the nave at the west and are roofed separately. They have a projecting plinth and a continuous sill band. Each bay has a weathered buttress and two 2-light windows. Gabled porch to north, the sill band of the aisle continuing as a transom through cusped windows on either side. The 2-bay chancel is unexpectedly higher than the nave-and has a bellcote at the junction and a 5-light east window. Imposing 4-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses, west door, 4-light west window, paired 2-light belfry openings and a broach spire set back behind a parapet. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade on short circular columns with moulded and enriched capitals. Hammer- beam roof trusses spring from carved corbels. Wide chancel arch on quatrefoil columns. Pierced stone chancel rail which cleverly incorporates the pulpit and lectern both of which use coloured stone details. Carved reredos. C18 baluster font from former church. Stained glass some by Wrigley and Hunt. Timber fittings. Several C18 and C19 wall plaques. The church incorporates many of the architects' characteristic details to good effect.
Listing NGR: SD7186203895
Copyright IoE Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Basketter, F. Bryan
Rights Holder: Basketter, F. Bryan
Slate, Stone, Stuart Plaque, Georgian Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship