This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 53SE SAMLESBURY off PRESTON NEW ROAD
1/97 Roman Catholic Church of - Saint John Southworth and attached presbytery
Chapel with presbytery under one roof, dated 1818. Rubble, stone quoins and dressings, slate roof hipped at west end which is presbytery. Chapel of rectangular plan; entrance at east end in round-headed doorway with stone jambs, a stone tablet above it lettered:- HOLINESS BESEEMETH THY HOUSE O LORD AT ALL TIMES. PS. 92 1818
Stone band, from which rise 4 windows in each side (and 2 in the east gable, which are now blocked), all stilted lunettes with radiating glazing bars. Presbytery of 2 storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical, facade of scored stucco, moulded stone doorcase with semi-circular fan light (a modern glazed porch attached); all windows sashed with glazing bars. Hipped roof with chimney on the hip, another on the ridge behind, and a belfry on the apex. Interior of chapel: a simple shell with flat ceiling; east gallery on 2 iron columns; a rear wall behind altar has a large framing recess with wide depressed arch flanked by Ionic columns bearing a dentilled cornice and frieze lettered "ECCE PANIS ANGELORUM", altar surrounded by curved communion rail with stick balusters.
Listing NGR: SD5935330319
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Stucco, Georgian Priests House, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Roman Catholic Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument