This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE HIGHER WALTON ROAD
5/127 Roman Catholic Church of - Our Lady and St. Patrick
Church, 1880, by Pugin and Pugin. Nave with aisles, 3-sided apsidal chancel, south west stair turret with spire, and attached baptistry on north side. Rockfaced stone, slate roof. Four windows to south aisle, 3 to north aisle, all of 3-lights under a pointed Tudor arch, with trefoils in the heads, and stilted hoodmoulds which have cubic stops; clerestory of 2 cusped single lights in each bay. Octagonal stair turret at south west corner, terminating in a belfry with a short spire. West end has doorway with gabled arch, and a round window crossed diagonally by 2 pairs of bars intersecting at right angles, with cinquefoils in the outer angles. Gabled baptistry at west end of north aisle. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade composed of columns with splayed heads and moulded octagonal capitals, with matching responds, supporting 2-centred arches with hoodmoulds which have in the springing tapered panels, each carved with a different naturalistic leaf pattern; very high chancel arch which has slim inner shafts terminating in naturalistic foliated capitals, and similar outer shafts continued over the head as a hoodmould. Elaborately carved reredos with pinnacled and crocketed canopies to main altar and both side altars; communion rail of coloured marble pierced by 2 rows of quatrefoils. Scissor-braced roof.
Listing NGR: SD5628427928
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship