This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 52NE WALTON-LE-DALE BLACKBURN ROAD
5/108 Church of All Saints - - II
Church, 1861-64 by E.G. Paley. Rock faced stone, 2 steeply pitched slate roofs. West tower, nave and 3-sided apsidal chancel in one, south aisle separately roofed, north transept and gabled sacristy.
Early English style. Broad tower with diagonal buttresses, a 3-light west window, pointed 2-light belfry louvres, broach spire with clock gablets on the cardinal faces, stair turret on north side. South side (aisle) has prominent gabled porch with steeply pitched roof, 4 arched windows with hoodmoulds each of 2 cusped lights with a trefoil in the head; wall of north side (nave) is buttressed and has 3 similar windows but with quatrefoil or cinquefoil in the head.
Interior: aisle arcade of 3 short columns (that in the centre hexagonal) with heavily foliated capitals (all different), supporting moulded 2-centred arches; scissor-braced roof with applied arch-bracing between the purlins, shafted chancel arch with foliated capitals; three 2-light chancel windows have hoodmoulds with foliated stops; chancel walls have painted geometrical patterns, and ceiling panels are also elaborately painted, Windows by Shrigley and Hunt (various dates), except that in transept which is said to be French.
Listing NGR: SD5783727355
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship