This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EAST KENNETT VILLAGE CENTRE SU 16 NW (north side) 5/149 Christ Church 22.8.66
Anglican parish church. 1863-4, by Gane of Trowbridge. Diaper flint and sarsen with limestone buttresses and dressings.
Twentieth century tiled roof, but C19 tiles to porch. Nave and chancel, with lateral tower on north. Lancet windows, 3-light cusped east window, wheel headed west window. Buttresses have nailhead decoration around top offset. Two stage tower with north- west angle stair and short spire with triangular pinnacles on angles. Two-light bell openings with colonnettes and ball flower decoration to outer arches. Lombardic corbel table with corner colonnettes and dog-tooth eaves. Porch has four-light openings along sides and an open roof.
Interior: Nave of 5 roof bays. Plain ashlar walls and arched braced collar trusses on Corinthian corbels. Chancel arch with arris rolls on similar carved corbels with knotted tails to bottom of short shafts. Hoodmouldings also have carved terminals.
Chancel has scissor rafters and archbraces, and pierced frieze above wall plate. Heavy carved cornice below east window.
Fittings: All C19. Font, at west end. Octagonal with sunk quatrefoiled panels. Pulpit, oak with half-octagonal carved front.
Choir stalls with desk on columns. Altar rail and table altar.
Monuments: In chancel, two fine early C18 wall monuments, white, grey and coloured marbles. On north side: 1716, a panel set forward with broken pediment and large bust wearing a cap against a grey marble pyramid. Flanking half urns. Fluted brackets below with putti and shield. To Charles Tooker of East Kennett, erected by Ann Saunders of Mingwel. South side: A white tablet with triangular pediment and supporting scrolls. Draped urn over and roundel with head in profile in apex of grey marble pyramid. Shield between brackets below. To Ann Tooker, died 1707. Nave: North side. Wall monument, C18. White marbles. Convex central panel with cornice and base between side panels. Arms in baroque frame over, between urns. Fluted apron, drapes and flanking putti below. To Sir Charles Tooker, died 1700. Tablet, mid C19, white marble on slate. Tapered panel between pilasters and gabled top.
To Richard Mathews, died 1849, and a marble Great War memorial. On south side: Wall tablet, C19. White marble on slate. Panel between pilasters. Draped urn over, to Richard Mathews, died 1842 and descendants to 1882. Also a limestone tablet to Richard Vigers, died 1947 and wife. At west end end: Two tablets, C19.
White marble scrolls on black field. Left: to John Mathews of Spean, died 1879, and wife. Right: Elizabeth Fisher of Winterbourne, Newbury, died 1863, and husband. Centre: A painted metal commandments board. Over south door, a framed Royal Arms on canvas, dated 1781.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; Victoria County History)
Listing NGR: SU1172567455
© Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Heath, B.J.W.
Rights Holder: Heath, B.J.W.
Flint, Limestone, Sarsen Stone, Tile, Timber, Stuart Wall Monument, Georgian Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque, Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, War Memorial
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.