This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MARINE PARADE 1.
5406 The Lido TQ 1402 SE 4/271 II 2. G.V.
Band enclosure, now bathing pools 1925. By Adshead and Ramsey. Dragged render to walls, metal roofs. Enclosure of depressed horseshoe shape projecting seaward from the Parade. Parallel to the Parade is a glazed wall with fluted shafts supporting the top beam, embellished with imbricated tenops. This is terminated by rectangular pavillions with heavily swept roofs. A conventional classical cornice is common to the front. Plainer curved walls embrace the changing rooms (to the east) and restaurant (to the west) to either side of the bandstand. This has short flank walls crowned by baskets of fruit and flowers and with applied Greek theatrical masks, and is treated as an open temple of oval plan. The low conical roof is supported by slim paired columns of an attenuated Tower of the Winds type. Flat ceiling with decorative plasterwork. A witty and attractive building which forms a foil to the same architects' Pier Pavilion to which it is a close neighbour.
Listing NGR: TQ1474702310
Copyright IoE Mr Robin Earl. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Earl, Robin
Rights Holder: Earl, Robin
Metal, Render, 20th Century Bandstand, Recreational, Music Speech And Dance Venue, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Swimming Pool, Pool, Sports Site, Restaurant, Commercial, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Changing Rooms