This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STEYNING HORSHAM ROAD 1.
5404 Penn's House and Penn Cottage TQ 1711 24/152
Originally a dwelling of timber-framed construction and C17 or earlier date.
Converted into a Quaker Meeting House in 1678 and used by William Penn, the Founder of the Society of Friends, who lived at Warminghurst, not far away. Made into a dwelling again in the C19 or since. Not two dwellings. One storey and attic.
Three windows. Two gabled dormers. Now faced with stone rubble, red brick and tile-hanging. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Stone inscribed "Quaker Meeting House 1678".
Listing NGR: TQ1739111577
Copyright IoE Mr Robin Earl. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Earl, Robin
Rights Holder: Earl, Robin
Brick, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Timber Framed Building, Stuart House, Jacobean Domestic, Dwelling, Friends Meeting House, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Meeting House, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument