This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS 53 NW ASHFORD ASHFORD
8/3 Church of St Peter - 25.2.65 - II*
Parish Church, incorporating mediaeval furnishings and fabric to base of tower, but tower rebuilt 1798 according to plaque on north wall with inscription.
"This Tower was Built at the Expense of the Parish in the year 1798". Remainder entirely rebuilt 1854 with chancel and south porch completed in late 1850s/early 1860s. Stone rubble, the tower, south wall of nave and south porch being variously roughly coursed. Slate roofs with coped gable ends with apex gablets. Crocketted ridge tiles to nave, chancel and north aisle, all partly damaged. Nave with south porch, chancel, north aisle and adjoining transeptal tower of 2 stages with C19 broach spire slated with 2 bands of fish scales. 2 figured bell openings with louvres in second stage to east and west only. Pointed arched doorway on east side reached by external dog-leg stone steps. C19 Decorated style fenestration except window openings on south side which are square-headed and have label moulds with returned ends, that to right of porch having grotesque heads as stops. Vestry has 2 single-light windows with shouldered heads in north wall, doorway with shouldered head in east wall, and tall slender stack in ashlar with gablet hood. Plain unmounded pointed arch to south porch and ambitious south doorway in Moorish style with shaped wooden surround and matching plank door. Short angle buttress to south west corner of nave.
Interior Arcade of 2 bays with plain pointed arches. Lower pointed arches to west and south sides of tower. Nave roof has C19 arched collars and windbraces. Tiled reredos dado with commandment communion table. Bishops chair to right also uses C17 carved panels. Ornately carved dado panelling to 3 sides of vestry and part of frieze on north wall. Reset boss carved in shape of human head also on north wall and small cusped stone panel with mutilated figure of St John in relief probably C14 on fireplace mantel. Reused C16 bench panels in pulpit. Ornately carved bench ends and pews in nave and north aisle transept variously incorporating C16, C17 and C19 timber. 2 possibly reset 'poppy heads' on octagonal posts: In north transept there is also a single box pew and dado panelling of C16 and C17 with C19 insertions. Diamond leaded panes with fleur-de-lis and other foliated devices in each pane and marginal glazing bars in all the windows except the plainer 3-light window. Chancel window and east window have C19 stained glass. Undecorated lead- lined font of a square bowl with chamfered corners on round column and square base, probably late Norman.
Listing NGR: SS5335035357
Copyright IoE Mr Robin Mellor. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mellor, Robin
Rights Holder: Mellor, Robin
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship