This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS 43 NE BRAUNTON VELATOR
7/64 Velator Bridge -
Road bridge over River Caen. Probably circa 1815 and probably by James Green, the County Surveyor. Shale rubble. Single span wide segmental arch with dressed shale voussoirs. Parapets have vertically coursed shale capping.
Velator Bridge was probably built in association with the reclamation of Braunton Marsh.
Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference : A H Slee Trans.Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4855735718
Copyright IoE Mr Robin Mellor. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mellor, Robin
Rights Holder: Mellor, Robin
Rubble, Shale, Georgian Road Bridge, Transport, Road Transport Site, Bridge