This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS 43 NE BRAUNTON BRAUNTON MARSH
7/26 Cattle Shelter 95 metres north - of The Great Sluice
Cattle shelter. Circa 1815-20. Low shale rubble walls. Circular on plan with two opposing entrances. Roofless at time of survey (1984) but originally had conical thatched roof. There are plans to replace the roof.
This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and possibly a fodder store for cattle on the marsh. It is the only circular shelter. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852- 1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only three open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference : A H Slee Trans.Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and HPR Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4779935121
Copyright IoE Mr Robin Mellor. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mellor, Robin
Rights Holder: Mellor, Robin
Rubble, Shale, Thatch, Georgian Cattle Shelter, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building