This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS 43 SE BRAUNTON BRAUNTON MARSH
9/31 Cattle Shelter and adjoining - wall 70 metres west of The Great Sluice
Cattle shelters and fold yard walls. 1815-20. Shale rubble, west end rendered.
Cob course below verges on end walls. Corrugated iron half hipped roof. Back-to- back shelters under one roof with 8-bay open fronts on both sides with roof supported on circular stone rubble piers. One pier on north side replaced with square concrete pier. One pier on south side missing.
Rectangular fold yards each side with stone rubble walls with vertical stone top course. Fold yards divided at centre, the walls continuing inside shelter to subdivide it at centre.
This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and probably a fodder store for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference : A H Slee Trans.Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4705434182
Copyright IoE Mr Robin Mellor. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mellor, Robin
Rights Holder: Mellor, Robin
Cob, Concrete, Iron, Render, Rubble, Shale, Stone, Georgian Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Cattle Shelter, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Farmyard