This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST75SE BUCKLAND DINHAM CP THE CROSS (North side)
4/124 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Nave, chancel, south chapel and south porch of circa 1200, north chapel of 1325, further chapel to north of chancel and west tower of 1480; late C19 restoration. Rubble, slate and stone tile roof. Nave with 2 early lancets, remainder of openings of the restoration; south door in Transitional style, depressed arch with outer zig-zag decoration on vertical springers with colonettes, north door in a much plainer style. Porch with parvise and stone fan vault, depressed arch outer door opening with panelled reveals reworked C1480. South chapel with single and triple lancets, shafted and cusped inside, carved taper brackets on north wall. C19 three light cusped east window, 3-light Perpendicular window to north chancel chapel. Perpendicular tower of 3 stages, diagonally buttressed, single 3-light bell chamber openings with stone latticework, paired openings in stage below with blind tracery. Interior on encustic tile and flag floors, oldest feature Norman tub font with frieze. Furniture includes 2 C17 oak chests and a pair of coffin stools; 2 chairs, one with a carved solid back, the other on turned legs with a latticwork C17 seat and back; C17 altar table. C17 panelled pulpit, probably once a 3 decker, further similar panelling to rear of sedilia. Half broken cusped tomb recess to north side of nave; pair of demi- figures to Sir John Dinham and his lady of 1332 set into floor of north chapel, late C19 commemorative plaque and rails. (SANHS, vol 57i, 1911).
Listing NGR: ST7550351267
Copyright IoE Mr Robert O. Caudwell. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Caudwell, Robert O.
Rights Holder: Caudwell, Robert O.
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative