This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HEMINGTON CP ST75NW FOXCOTE 2/91 Church of St. James The Less 11.3.68
Anglican Church, now redundant. Early C18 incorporating C15/C16 turret. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, moulded cornice, parapet with coping, slate roof, coped verges. Nave, chancel, west bell turret. Classical/Palladian, emphasis placed upon entrance front; Perpendicular turret. Two bay nave with rusticated quoins, semi-circular head windows with emphasised keys and imposts, diamond-paned leaded lights. Door opening with segmental pediment on Roman-Doric half-columns, 6-panelled door; 2 bay chancel of lower height, rusticated quoins; windows similar to nave with square-paned leaded lights. Small 2-stage embattled turret, corner pinnacles, narrow plain bell-chamber openings, semi-circular head east window. Interior plastered on tile and flagstone floors; coved plaster ceilings with moulded cornices; emphasised surrounds to windows. Jacobean altar table, altar rail and chair. Panelled C18 pulpit with carving. C19 pews, lectern and font. Fine set C18 wall monuments; to William Ponting of 1708 with segmental pediment; to John Smith of 1714 in marble surround; to Richard Ponting of 1715 in bolection moulded surround; to Thomas Fisher of 1719 with achievement set over, to Robert Smith of 1769 with weeping cherub; to Hannah Orange in marble with segmental pediment. Slab to Sarah Weaver of 1718; early C19 wall monument. Two C17 coffin stools. South-east corner of exterior with inscription.
Listing NGR: ST7155555570
Copyright IoE Mr Robert O. Caudwell. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Caudwell, Robert O.
Rights Holder: Caudwell, Robert O.
Ashlar, Rubble, Slate, Medieval Building, Tudor Unassigned, Elizabethan Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site