Hemington Church / Church Of St Mary

Date:
14 Oct 1999
Location:
Hemington Church, Hemington, Mendip, Somerset
Show all locations
Church Of St Mary, Hemington, Mendip, Somerset
Reference:
IOE01/00133/13
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HEMINGTON CP ST75SW HEMINGTON VILLAGE 6/99 Church of St. Mary (previously listed as Hemington Church) 11.3.68

GV I

Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13, C15, some C19 restoration probably by the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble and some ashlar, embattled parapets, stone tile and lead sheeting roofs. Clerestoried nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel with south chapel, north vestry, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular though some earlier features remain. Fine 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet, corner pinnacles, stair turret, single bell-chamber windows to top stage with stone grilles, tall double windows with blind tracery on the stage below; 3-light west window, west door. Four bay nave, 2-light windows, that to north-west corner of the 1340's, the remainder Perpendicular. Six bay aisle-cum-chapel, 2-light windows, added C13 though fenestration C15. Porch 1869 in an Early English style; Early English inner doorway with Purbeck shafts, C15 door. Chancel with 3-light east window.

Plastered interior on flagstone floors. Nave with C19 roof on large C15 corbels carved as angels; C15 aisle roof with ribs and bosses on small allegorical corbels. Springers for vault under tower. C19 ceiling with ribs and bosses; C19 wagon roof to chancel. Norman chancel arch with 2 pairs of shafts; Early English 4 bay arcade to south aisle, of similar date 2 bay arcade between chancel and south chapel, the centre pier with detached Purbeck shafts, piscina on east respond. Aisle and chapel windows with shafted rere-arches. Upper and lower entrances to rood. Aumbry. Norman tub font; C16 chest; C17 pews; pair of coffin stools; C19 pulpit, choir stalls, chair and altar rails. Organ dated 1869 by Vowles of Bristol. Sole monuments to floor; C17 wall monument; 3 C18 wall monuments, C19 and C20 monuments. Charity plaque under the tower. Five early bells. Chancel window with simple C19 stained glass. Chapel window dated 1937 by A.

K. Nicholson of London. Jacobean cover to font. Late C16 painted text on nave wall. (Church Guide, 1984).

Listing NGR: ST7273453026

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Caudwell_Robert O. IOE Records for Caudwell, Robert O.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Robert O. Caudwell. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Caudwell, Robert O.

Rights Holder: Caudwell, Robert O.

Keywords

Ashlar, Lead, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Anglican Church, Gravestone, Grave Marker, Plaque