This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MORCHARD BISHOP CHURCH STREET (north side) SS 7607 - 7707 - Morchard Bishop 11/140 Morchard Bishop Church of England Primary School, including playground boundary wall to south GV II
Primary School. 1872 according to the headmaster. Snecked volcanic stone with Hamstone detail and dressings; disused snecked volcanic stacks, their chimney shafts removed; red tiled roof including bands of fish-scale tiles and with alternate plain and crested ridge tiles. Gothic style. L-shaped building with long main block facing south with crosswing projecting forward from left (west) end. Main range has 2 front lateral stacks. Single storey. Balanced but not symmetrical 5-window front to main block with main door roughly central. A 2-storey porch with low diagonal buttresses and half-hipped roof surmounted by a wrought iron floriated cross, has a pair of Hamstone 2-light Decorated-style windows with plate tracery; the ground floor arch was removed circa 1960 when flat-roofed extension built in front. From either side of porch a moulded drip course is interrupted by the windows but carried round the projecting stacks and the wall batters slightly outwards near the ground.
To the right of the porch is, first a square-headed 2-light mullioned window, then a similar 3-light window and beyond the stack at right end is a square-headed 9-pane window with chamfered Hamstone reveals. To left of the porch are similar 9-pane windows either side of redundant stack. The gable end of the crosswing has a large 4-light arch-headed Hamstone window with hoodmould, upper transom and Decorated- style plate tracery. The moulded drip course steps up to the window on each side.
At the top of the gable is a narrow lancet ventilator to the roofspace. The roof of the wing is carried down over a small lobby with a diagonal buttress on the corner set in the angle of the 2 wings. The outer side of the wing has a pair of 2- light mullioned Hamstone windows. The roof is high and ornamented by horizontal bands of rounded fish-scale tiles. At the right (east) end a narrow gap between the school and School House (q.v.) has a low connecting red tile roof and a Hamstone shoulded-headed arch. The low mudstone rubble boundary wall to the street includes a reused date stone set to right of blocked central gateway. It is inscribed N...
(the second initial is defaced) above the date 1665 and the intials TE.
Listing NGR: SS7727607564
This is part of the Series: IOE01/2255 IOE Records taken by Michael Woodhead; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Michael Woodhead. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Woodhead, Michael
Rights Holder: Woodhead, Michael
Ham Hill Stone, Rubble, Shale, Stone, Tile, Stuart Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Elementary School, Education, School, Cross Wing House, Monument <By Form>, Hall House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Boundary Wall, Wall, Barrier, Boundary