This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WASHFORD PYNE WASHFORD PYNE SS 81 SW 3/287 - The Old Rectory GV II
House, former rectory. 1859 according to parish records. Plastered rubble; rubble stacks topped with C19 brick, coated slate roof. L-shaped building with 2-room main block facing south-east with end stacks and 2-room crosswing projecting forward on left (south-west) end which has central axial stack. 2 storeys. Regular 4-window front to main block made up of 16-pane sashes, many with horns. Door at left end and window left of centre lay behind late C19 porch and conservatory with red tile roof. Conservatory has glazed front containing a sash with glazing bars and margin panes and porch projects forward slightly and includes a plank door with Gothic- style strap hinges with fleur-de-lys finials, half-hipped roof and glazed front on low rubble wall - the glazing is mostly original with glazing bars defining geometric shapes and containing geometric patterns of leaded glass, some coloured.
Plain deep eaves. Roof is gable ended to right and stack at that end projects slightly. Front gable end of cross wing has canted bay window with forward 16-pane sash and flanking 8-pane sashes to ground floor, a 16-pane sash to first floor and blind recess in gable, possibly a blocked attic light. 2-window front to south-west (overlooking the garden) with canted bay windows similar to that on end to ground floor and 16-pane sashes to first floor.
Interior not inspected.
Sources: Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SS8119111786
Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Woodhead, Michael
Rights Holder: Woodhead, Michael
Plaster, Rubble, Slate, Victorian Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Conservatory, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Glasshouse, Garden Building, Monument <By Form>