This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST22NE CREECH ST MICHAEL CP
6/63 Five Arch Bridge at NGR ST 2695 2533
Railway bridge over River Tone, now disused. 1863. Company Engineer Francis Fox.
Squared and irregularly coursed punched lias, Bath stone dressings. Plan: 5 arch span bridge. Shallow arches, rusticated archivolts, piers resting on boat-shaped pontoons in river, raking abutments, regular projections above water Level on the piers, broken off in some places, flat string course and flat coping, both of Bath stone. Coping partly missing on East side, both ends of bridge obsured by ivy at time of survey (April 1984). The outer arches of the bridge span the bank, presumably becaused of the later embankment of the river. The bridge carried the branch line of the Bristol and Exeter Railway Company to Chard. It closed in 1962.
Listing NGR: ST2695025330
Copyright IoE Mr Mick Humphreys. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Humphreys, Mick
Rights Holder: Humphreys, Mick
Lias, Victorian Railway Bridge, Transport, Railway Transport Site, Bridge