This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WASHFORD PYNE WASHFORD PYNE SS 81 SW 3/285 - Church of St Peter 26.8.65 GV II*
Small parish church. Tower base C15, rest rebuilt in 1882 by R M Fulford; contractor was J R Gibbard of Exeter and all carved work by Hems of Exeter. Tower of roughly-shaped purple mudstone and volcanic trap rubble with red tile hung belfry and tiled spire; the rest of neater purple mudstone and volcanic trap tending to courses, Ham stone detail used with red sandstone internally, and slate roofs with slightly crested red tiles. Nave with slightly smaller and narrower chancel, south transept chapel, west tower, south porch and vestry on north side of chancel. Tower is Perpendicular, the rest is late C19 Gothic with Arts and Crafts Movement elements. Low, unbuttressed single stage west tower with chamfered plinth is restored C15 work and is surmounted by 1882 tile hung belfry containing pairs of slatted and cinquefoil-headed timber windows each side and low broach spire with brass weather cock on the apex. North side of tower has small C19 volcanic lancets to internal stairs. West side includes a C15 granite 2-centred arch with moulded surround, containing a C19 plank door with wrought iron strap hinges with fleur-de- lys finials, and, above the door, an 1882 Hamstone Early Decorated style 2-light arch-headed window. The tower plinth is carried round to the south front of the nave. Thereafter the fabric is wholly work of 1882. Nave only shows left of porch and contains a Hamstone square-headed window with trefoil ogee arched light and open spandrels. Soffit-chamfered eaves cornice of volcanic stone. South porch has rusticated volcanic quoins and Hamstone ashlar coping to gable and fleuree cross at apex. Outer arch has double chamfered surround and moulded hood mould and carved foliate labels. Gable has moulded dripcourse with a trefoil-headed nich above containing a carved statue of St Peter and a fruiting vine bracket below which descends as the keystone of the outer arch. The outer left porch wall has a trefoil-headed lancet. Eastern wall is shared by gable-ended south chapel which is built as high as the nave but does not project as far as the porch. It has rusticated volcanic quoins and a small projecting eaves cornice with hollow- Chamfered soffit under the gable which is surmounted by a fleuree cross. Front contains a large arch-headed moulded hoodmould over 2 tall square-headed single light windows separated by an equally narrow section of walling. Each is a trefoil- headed light with quatrefoil over and open spandrels. In the arch above these windows is a quatrefoil light. Below the sill is a moulded dripcourse with a band of rusticated volcanic ashlar beneath. Another band of similar volcanic stone across front at eaves level is interupted by windows. Volcanic ashlar relieving arch above Hamstone hoodmound. Above this is a horizontal band of Hamstone meeting the coping and under gable top is a Hamstone ventilator slit. Near the ground are 2 Hamstone quatrefoil ventilators. To the right, in the angle between chapel and chancel is a diagonal turret containing a lancet window provided to light a Hamstone lined diagonal channel between the chapel and chancel. Chancel south side has a 2- light square-headed window in similar style to the others. East end appears to be wholly 1882 work but includes a reset volcanic 3-light arched window with simple arch-headed lights in C17 Perpendicular style. Gable has usual Hamstone hollow- chamfered eaves cornice and fleuree cross at the apex. On the north side of the chancel roof is carried down over the vestry which has tall ashlar chimney shaft.
The north side of the nave includes 2 bands of rusticated volcanic ashlar broken by the Hamstone windows, all square-headed with ogee headed lights; a 2-light window at left end and a pair of 2-light windows at the right (west) end. 2 Hamstone quatrefoil ventilators are low down near the right end.
A good and remarkably complete interior of 1882. Porch has floor of coloured and shaped tiles, wooden benches on each side, and an open common rafter roof with moulded wall plates. Plain round-headed arch to south door. Studded plank door with oak lock housing may be C16 but cover strips and ironwork are 1882. Nave has 4-bay roof. Trusses have moulded arch-braces springing from moulded Hamstone corbels. Bays between have a plank ceiling making a 6-sided vault. Similar roofs to chancel and chapel but with curving plank vaults. Chancel roof has crenellated wall plate. High red sandstone tower arch has plain sides, imposts which are moulded on nave side only, and moulded arch. Moulded Hamstone chancel arch. 2-bay arcade to south chapel of moulded Hamstone arches and an octagonal red sandstone pier with Hamstone base and moulded capital. Plastered walls but embrasures have exposed red sandstone quoins and heads. A horizontal band of similar stone is exposed in nave immediately below corbel level. At the bottom the walls are lined with coloured and shaped tiles set in simple patterns up to dado level. Floors of similar tiles. Nave tiles are stamped on the back, Craven, Dunhill and Co., Jackfield, Salop. Rear arches of windows have chamfered low ogee-headed rear arches to deeply splayed embrasures. The double window on north side of nave has a double arch and central circular pier of red sandstone with moulded Hamstone base and capital. The Hamstone diagonal squint between the chancel and chapel has trefoil- headed lights each end. Plain chamfered Hamstone arched doorway from chancel to vestry. Oak Gothic-style choir stalls and pews, the latter retaining original brass oil lamps held aloft on twisted standards. Oak altar rail on turned balusters.
Gothic chancel screen the gift of Charles Comyns Tucker (died 1922). Elaborately carved oak lectern; the square base rests on the symbols of the apostles, the stem features the Sword of Spirit; an Agnus Dei on the front, and the centre piece supporting the desk is dated 1893 and forms a small box or reliquary which is inscribed internally "In memory of George Tucker and My (Mary?), Tarbarton" with a Biblical motto. Gothic-style oak pulpit the gift of Elizabeth Bragg (died 1910).
Similar brass candleholders with curving stems and repoussee leafwork to choir stalls and pulpit. Organ in south aisle built by A W Walker of London in 1869 according to makers plaque. Stained glass memorial window in chancel to Carson family. Other windows contain leaded geometric patterns of shaped and colour-tinted translucent glass. All glass circa 1882 by Drake. South chapel includes a reset Neoclassical black and white mural monument to Mrs Agnes Lambe (died 1807). An unusually complete and well-designed and quite original late C19 church of national importance.
Sources: Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SS8122611832
© Michael Woodhead. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Woodhead, Michael
Rights Holder: Woodhead, Michael
Rubble, Shale, Slate, Tile, Ham Hill Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Weather Vane, Unassigned, Statue, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Street Furniture
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.