This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2464 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE LEAZES PARK ROAD (east side) 16/360 No. 12 (Leazes Arcade) G.V. II Synagogue, now shopping arcade. 1880 by John Johnstone. Sandstone ashlar with rock-faced plinth; Welsh slate roof. North Italian style. Basement and 2 storeys; 1:3:1 bays, the central 3 under gable. Outer entrance bays have end pilasters; double doors, and fanlights with circle glazing bars, between pink granite shafts under moulded round arches; 5 arcaded windows on upper floor. Pilasters flank central 3 bays; intersecting segmental arcade contains 2 side and 4 centre ground- floor windows; upper windows paired under round arches with Star of David carved in tympana. Sloped Lombard frieze up gable. 8-foil blind window in gable peak with acroterion. Blocks above pilasters have high, curved pyramidal finials with fishscale pattern. Interior galleries.
Listing NGR: NZ2456864573
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Granite, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Synagogue, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Shopping Arcade, Commercial