This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 15 SE STANLEY SOUTH MOOR ROAD (West side) South Moor 7/193 Church of St.George GV II Parish church. 1897 by J.W. Thompson. Thinly-rendered sandstone rubble with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with red ridge tiles and stone gable copings. Nave with south porch and north transept vestry; chancel with north organ chamber and porch. Gabled south porch has triple-chamfered 2-centred arch, with wide moulded stops; boarded double doors with elaborate hinges; gable coping, roll moulded gable finial and moulded kneelers. Chamfered lancet windows, paired in nave, in alternate-block surrounds; 3-light west window with flat bar tracery, under gabled bellcote; plate-traceried 5-light east window. Buttresses with offsets define nave bays. Doors in vestry and north porch in similar style to south door. Steeply-pitched roof has stone cross finial.
Interior: painted plaster over boarded dado and panelled chancel dado; panelled boarded roof, with stencil patterns in chancel; wide 2-centred chamfered chancel arch, and paired transept arches, with boarded screen to vestry. Glass includes window in south aisle 1923 by Baguley; south chancel windows Sts. Mary, George and Michael, the Michael of high quality. Octagonal stone font; very high quality pews throughout, the 1937 gift of subscribers named on west wall plaque, by Thompson of Masham; thick, square-ended adze-dressed oak, with simple alternate-chiselled decoration on ends; mouse carved in three places. Ogee oak font cover also by Thompson of Masham.
Listing NGR: NZ1904251403
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Welsh Slate, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship