This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 15 SE STANLEY SOUTH MOOR ROAD (West side) South Moor 7/192 Former Miner's Hall and Institute GV II Miners' Hall and Institute; now private function suites. Dated 1898 over door.
Snecked sandstone, with brick returns and rear; ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable coping and brick chimney; lead-covered porch roof.
Chapel style. Gabled front to street 2 storeys, 3 bays, the central wider.
Gabled porch with steps up to central flushed double doors in moulded, round- headed surround under open pediment and inscription MINERS HALL 1898; quadrant porch returns have blocked round-headed windows on both floors except for 6-panel door at right on ground floor. Porch entablature, with pulvinated frieze continuous with pediment bed; 2 paired blocked round-headed windows above porch flank central lesene with ball finial; similar finials on pinnacles of pilasters rising from entablature of porch. Round-headed blocked windows in outer bays. Rear gable chimney. 7-bay returns, the right with central 6-panel door in stone surround with open segmental pediment; panel with low-relief INSTITUTE, and small raised segmental pediment above; round-headed brick- arched windows, blocked except for 4 first-floor left-return stained glass windows.
Included for historical and social interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1903551524
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Brick, Rubble, Sandstone, Welsh Slate, Victorian Colliery Institute, Education, Institute, Trades Union Hall, Recreational, Meeting Hall, Recreational Hall, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Function Room, Commercial