This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 15 SW STANLEY A 692 (North side) Dipton 6/131 Pontop Hall 19/7/50 GV II* Farmhouse. Late C17 and c.1700. Main block coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; left extension, in 2 builds, of thinly-rendered rubble with large quoins and boulder plinth. Roof of main block concrete tiles; left part stone flags; stone gable copings and stone chimneys raised in brick.
Main block 2 storeys, 4 irregular bays, the second and fourth wider; C20 porch at left to renewed door in surround hidden by C20 cladding. Renewed sashes with glazing bars, 12-pane in left 2 bays and 16-pane at right, with flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills; 4 half dormers, the outer ones blocked and the inner with fixed lights, under gables. Steeply-pitched roof has end chimneys, and curved kneelers; left return gable has external stack.
Left wing of 2 low storeys, 2 wide bays in 2 builds; the first at left with large quoins. Boarded door to right of first bay under flat stone lintel; ground-floor sashes with glazing bars; first-floor 3-light wood-mullioned casements, that at left with moulded stone head, stone mullions removed, and brick sill inserted; wide chimney on ridge at right of first build. Left return gable shows boarded door, large quoins, and blocked windows with chamfered stone surrounds, those on ground floor with central stone mullion. Rear outshut on left part; double-span rear wing at right-angles to main block, one span at centre over stair and second at right end an original wing extended in C19.
Interior: main house has open-well stair in rear wing, with ramped grip handrail on 3 turned balusters per tread; doorways from stair well have round heads on pilasters. Deep fielded panelling in right bay on both floors, with hinged panels opening onto blocked windows in right return gable; similar panelling in first-floor room of rear wing. Left ground-floor room reported to have flat-Tudor-arched stone fire surround beneath C20 wall-paper. Attic formerly held Catholic chapel from mid C18, now removed; 2 Tuscan columns flanking former communion rail survive. Left wing contains large flat Tudor- arched stone fire surrounds in both ground-floor rooms; smaller chimney-piece in same style on first floor; massive, closely-spaced first-floor joists. Rear stair closed-string, dogleg stair with moulded handrail on splat balusters.
Source: J.W. Fawcett, History of the Parish of Dipton, Satley 1911, pp 12-14.
Listing NGR: NZ1482553655
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Concrete, Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Tile, Stuart Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Roman Catholic Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship