This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAREMONT RD 8/550 A Military Vehicle Museum (former Palace of Arts) II Exhibition building. Built 1928-9. Steel framed with concrete cladding.
Single storey. 15 bays by 19 bays. The main facade has a projecting central portico with 10 base-less and capital-less square fluted columns, raised on a 7 step base, with a 3 step flat parapet which continues around the whole building. Either side are 3 bay blind wings with 3 blind windows each. The building is surmounted by a central octagonal cupola, topped by a shallow octagonal dome. The side facades are articulated with 20 base-less and capital-less fluted pilasters. Interior has a central domed space and linking galleries all round, divided by wooden panelled walls with Art Deco style doorways between. This building was built as the Palace of Arts for the North East Coast Exhibition, opened by the Prince of Wales on 14 May 1929. After the exhibition closed on 26 October 1929 the building was purchased by Newcastle upon Tyne Corporation for the Museum of Science and Engineering opened in 1934. It now houses the Military Vehicles Museum, it is the only surviving structure from the 1929 North East Coast Exhibition.
Listing NGR: NZ2464265824
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Concrete, Steel, 20th Century Arts Centre, Recreational, Art And Education Venue, Museum, Education, Exhibition Hall, Commercial