This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NELSON STREET 20/405 (north side) 12/11/65 Nos. 16 to 22 even (The Cordwainers' P.H.) G.V. II Cordwainers Company meeting hall, now facade of Eldon Centre shopping precinct.
1838, dated in central panel. Sandstone ashlar; roof not visible. 3 and 4 storeys; 8 bays and one curved left corner bay. Left pavilion of 4 storeys and 2 bays has plain reveals to ground floor windows, architraves to those on upper floors with frieze and cornice to first floor and bracketed sills to second floor. Bracketed cornice above these 2 bays; top floor sashes in plain reveals under cornice and blocking course. Plain reveals to sashes in 6 recessed bays with first floor aproned second floor sill string and top cornice. First floor band to these 6 bays; all windows have glazing bars. Left corner bay has curved glass.
Central panle incised CORDWAINERS HALL and date in Roman numerals. Included for group value.
This building has been redeveloped behind the facade so that only the facade is of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2474564403
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Sandstone, Georgian Facade, Victorian Unassigned, Architectural Fragment, Livery Hall, Commercial, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Shopping Precinct, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Urban Space