This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NELSON STREET (north side) 20/403 No. 12A G.V. II Warehouse, now facade of Eldon Centre shopping precinct. Circa 1899 by Marshall and Tweedy. Sandstone ashlar. Roof not visible. Free Baroque style. 4 storeys and attics; 5 bays. Ground floor has Ionic pilasters flanking renewed windows and recessed entrances, under bracketed fascia. Brackets support slender pilasters extending 2 storeys defining bays and having cartouche finials. 2-storey bracketed oriels in outer bays; and all other windows have slender wood mullions and transoms; top windows have 2-storey keyed architraves to inner bays, outer segmental-headed architraves. Modillioned eaves cornice; parapet with 3 segmental- headed attics windows. Included for group value.
This building has been redeveloped behind the facade so that only the facade is of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2477764389
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Sandstone, Victorian Facade, Unassigned, Architectural Fragment, Warehouse, Commercial, Shopping Precinct, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Urban Space