This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NELSON STREET (north side) 20/404 12/11/65 No. 14 G.V. II The Dispensary, later Fruit Exchange, now facade of Eldon Centre shopping precinct, 1838. Sandstone ashlar; roof not visible. 3 storeys, 5 bays. Channelled rusticated ground floor with steps up to central panelled double door flanked by pilasters blocked overlight. Upper floors have sashes with glazing bars and architraves, that over door having blind balustrade and bracketed pediment; cornices to remaining first floor windows, bracketed sills on second floor.
Bracketed top cornice and balustrade. Included for group value.
This building has been redeveloped behind the facade so that only the facade is of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2476364396
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Sandstone, Georgian Facade, Victorian Unassigned, Architectural Fragment, Fruit And Vegetable Market, Commercial, Market, Dispensary, Health And Welfare, Shopping Precinct, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Urban Space