This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NELSON STREET (north side) 20/401 12/11/65 Nos. 8 G.V. II House and shop, now shop. Circa 1836, probably by John Wardle, for Richard Grainger. Sandstone ashlar with later pink granite and terra-cotta columns to shop; roof not visible. 3 storeys, 5 bays. Central renewed double door under swan-neck pediment, with keyed roundel and garlands, recessed between tall shop windows with slender glazing bars; Jacobean-style columns flank door. Rusticated pilasters define end bays containing 6-panelled double doors and high overlights with patterned glazing bars. Ground floor fascia and cornice. First floor sill string to sashes in architraves, the central with blind balustrade and bracketed pediment, the outer bays with cornices. Second-floor architraves have bracketed sills. All windows have glazing bars. Bracketed top cornice and balustrade.
This building has been redeveloped behind the facade, so only the facade is of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2480764391
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Granite, Sandstone, Terracotta, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial