Lower Knapp Farm / Manor Farmhouse

Date:
26 Oct 1999
Location:
Lower Knapp Farm, North Curry, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3 6BQ
Show all locations
Manor Farmhouse, North Curry, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3 6BQ
Reference:
IOE01/00159/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

NORTH CURRY CP ST3025 KNAPP

10/55 Manor Farmhouse

-

GV II*

Farmhouse. Late medieval, ceiled C16 and hall fireplace inserted, east gable end partly rebuilt with date 1626, west gable end demolished and building extended one room beyond, altered internally C18, restored late C20. Graduated, squared and coursed local grey sandstone, parts of cob including gable ends, thatched roof hipped to right, brick stacks right and to left of cross passage. Plan: open hall ceiled to 3-cell and cross passage, extended one room west, outshot at rear in north-east corner against rebuilt wall. One and a half storeys, long facade, first floor windows rising from eaves, 6-light wooden casement left, 2-light right, ground floor C20 casements two 3-light left and one right of entrance, remains of moulded head of 4-centred arch doorframe cut when smaller door inserted, plain chamfered 4-centred door frame to rear of cross passage. Interior: right of cross passage chamfered beams and large chamfered bressumer dated 1636, large curing chamber to right lit on gable end, spice cupboard with fielded panel in south-east corner; to left 6-panel compartment ceiling cut by rear corridor, moulded beam thought to be to earlier firehood and probably reset, grate now set back with stair beside, remains of plaster frieze on west wall, cupboard in north wall with fielded panels; 2 west rooms entered from rear, 6-panel compartment ceiling with steeply chamfered beams in inner room with remains of similar plasterwork frieze, framed partition. Upper storey, evidence of full cruck and joint cruck truss roof with smoke blackening, east gable end room open to roof, said to have been a cheese room with remains of hoisting tackle. The two westerly rooms are used as agricultural buildings with ruins of stables adjoining, Also known as Lower Knapp Farm. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, March 1983).

Listing NGR: ST3050725570

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Humphreys_Mick IOE Records for Humphreys, Mick; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Mick Humphreys. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Humphreys, Mick

Rights Holder: Humphreys, Mick

Keywords

Cob, Sandstone, Thatch, Timber, Medieval Farmhouse, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Cruck House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Open Hall House, Hall House, Cross Passage House, Cheese Loft, Curing House, Industrial, Food Preserving Site, Food And Drink Industry Site, Food Processing Site, Stable, Animal Shed, Transport