This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EARL STREET 1.
5278 (South Side) The Corpus Christi Hall TQ 7555 NE 1/100 30.7.51.
The Guild or Fraternity of Corpus Christi was founded in Maidstone about 1422.
It had the use of a chantry chapel in the north chancel of All Saints Church and consisted of 2 wardens, 4 chaplains and a number of churchmen, gentry and towmmen. The building consisted originally of a Hall, Refectory, Chapel and Cloisters. After the Suppression of the Fraternity, Protector Somerset gave the building to the town of Maidstone for a Grammar School, founded in 1549 and it remained in use as such until 1871. Only the Refectory remains.
An L-shaped C15 building. 2 storey and attics stone rubble. Tiled roof.
The main front faces east. 2 hipped dormers. 2 pointed windows containing cinquefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil over, stone mullions and transom.
The outer windows are modern. The gable end facing Earl Street is timbered with red brick infilling. The west wing is of stone rubble on the ground floor and imitation timbering above. 2 square-headed windows contains 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with dripstones over. The interior has 2 crown posts with chamfered tie beams. Screens passage with 5 stone arches. Also traces of a wooden partition which originally divided the hall into 2. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TQ7583055804
Copyright IoE Mr John Vigar. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Vigar, John
Rights Holder: Vigar, John
Brick, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Refectory, Tudor Unassigned, Building Component, Building, Chantry Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Grammar School, Education, Secondary School, School, Guildhall, Commercial, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building