This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
KILMINGTON CHURCH ROAD ST 73 NE (east side) 3/73 Church of St Mary 6.1.66 GV II* Anglican parish church. C15 tower, chancel rebuilt 1864, complete rebuilding 1869, tower restored 1903 by C.E. Ponting. Dressed limestone, rubblestone, tiled roof with ceramic ridge cresting and coped verges. West tower and entrance, nave and north aisle, south transept, north vestry and chancel. Narrow 3-stage tower of Somerset type with diagonal buttresses and string courses, moulded Tudor-arched west doorway with hoodmould, 4-light Perpendicular window over, bellstage has 2-light pointed Perpendicular windows with pierced decorative louvres, 2-light north window to middle stage and south side has two crocketed image niches with statues of the Virgin and Gabriel, buttresses are carried up to crocketed corner pinnacles of battlemented parapet. Nave has 3-light C19 window to south side. C19 gabled south transept has 3-light Perpendicular-style window to south, reset stone sundial. Chancel in geometric Decorated style has two 2-light windows to south and 3-light east window, pedimented tablet to Edward Wagstaff died 1795 attached to north wall, north vestry with planked pointed door and 2-light window. Large north aisle with 3-light Perpendicular west and east windows, four 2-light north windows. North side of tower has polygonal stair turret with chamfered arrowloops. Interior: porch below tower has chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to stairs, continuously double chamfered tower arch with 1903 glazed screen, plaque on wall records restoration, four achievements of arms. Nave has C19 roof of eight unequal bays, arch-braced collar trusses with curved wind-bracing to exposed rafters and purlins, polychrome tiled floor. Four-bay north aisle arcade in C14 style with octagonal piers and moulded arches. Organ chamber in south transept; double chamfered continuous arch, possibly C15. C19 chancel arch in C13 style, 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof, partly blocked pointed archway to north vestry, small piscina in south west window sill. Fittings: C17 polygonal pulpit with richly carved panels, reset on C19 limestone plinth, C19 octagonal stone font at west end of nave, Cl9 pews. Stained glass in east window to Anne Warburton c.1878, north aisle east window glass to Hartgill family c.1869. Monuments include slate tablet in transept to Rebecca Combe died 1644 with good lettering, Edwardian baroque cartouche with heraldic arms to Georgii Gulielmi Camborne (sic) died 1906, classical marbles to Joseph Lush died 1827, oval tablet to Joseph Lush died 1797, classical marble recording charity to Wesleyan Chapel; John Hooper died 1894.
(Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire, 1903).
Listing NGR: ST7719736593
Copyright IoE Mr G.M. Cotton. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cotton, G.M.
Rights Holder: Cotton, G.M.
Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Anglican Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative