This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MAIDEN BRADLEY ST 74 SE 1/101 MILL LANE (south side) Cowshed about 75 metres south west of Priory Farm - house (formerly listed as Remains of Augustinian Priory) II
The address shall be amended to read MILL LANE (south side) Cowshed about 60 metres south of Priory Farmhouse (formerly listed as Remains of Augustinian Priory) II
MAIDEN BRADLEY MILL LANE ST 74 SE (south side) 1/101 Cowshed about 75 metres south west of Priory Farmhouse (formerly listed 6.1.66 as Remains of Augustinian Priory) GV II Hall house and gatehouse, now disused cowshed. C15, altered C19 and C20. Rubble stone, corrugated asbestos roof, formerly thatched, two truncated external lateral stone stacks. Two-storey.
North west side has planked door to right, large Tudor-arched blocked opening, former gateway, to left, Tudor-arched chamfered doorway and square-headed chamfered doorway to centre, the latter three openings within C20 covered yard. First floor has two 2- light chamfered mullioned windows to _left, three chamfered single blocked windows and Tudor-arched planked door to right, small canopied image niche over centre Tudor-arched doorway. Rear, facing south east, has large Tudor-arched blocked doorway, former gateway to right, blocked square-headed doorway and three C19 segmental-headed windows. First floor has two chamfered lights, two blocked pointed lights and open doorway, two truncated external stacks. C19 lean-to extension to left return.
Interior has C19 cowstalls to ground floor, C19 ceiling and first floor. First floor retains roof of 5-bay hall house; two arch- braced collar trusses with chamfered soffits to east, three collar and tie-beam trusses with cranked collars and lower king struts to west, two tiers of purlins with curved windbracing, chamfered to 3 eastern bays only. Two added bays to west end, single-storey only.
Two inserted, blocked stone fireplaces to south wall; west one post-dating a pointed window. Represents part of a C12 women's leper hospital founded by Manasser Biset, steward to Henry II, before 1164, became a small Augustinian Priory in 1190. At the Dissolution there were 5 canons and the lands of the priory were then acquired by the Seymour family. This building is probably late medieval, of several phases and was on the south side of the domestic ranges. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; V.C.H., Wiltshire, Vol III, 1956)
Listing NGR: ST7995140324