This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MAIDEN BRADLEY MILL LANE ST 74 SE (south side) 1/102 Small farmbuilding at right angles to cowshed at Priory Farm (formerly 6.1.66 listed as Remains of Augustinian Priory) GV II Small monastic domestic building, now disused farmbuilding.
Probably C15. Rubble stone, corrugated asbestos roof, formerly thatched, removed north stack. Two-storey, 1-window west front.
Tudor-arched stone doorway with rebate to right, giving access to internal stairs, former 2-light chamfered mullioned window to left, with inserted C19 window. First floor has chamfered open window to left. Left return has planked stable door with segmental head to right, blocked 2-light mullioned window to first floor. Rear is windowless. Right return has blocked arched opening to ground floor. Interior of ground floor has very deep chamfered beam to ceiling and first floor. Winding stone stairs from outside to first floor; no internal access between floors. First floor has stone square- headed fireplace, C20 roof. One of two surviving domestic monastic buildings from the Priory founded here in 1190, a leper hospital was on this site during the C12.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST7993740320
This is part of the Series: IOE\Cotton_G.M. IOE Records for Cotton, G.M.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr G.M. Cotton. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cotton, G.M.
Rights Holder: Cotton, G.M.
Asbestos, Rubble, Stone, Thatch, Medieval Leper Hospital, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Hospital, Health And Welfare, Specialist Hospital, Augustinian Monastery, Monastery, Religious House, Augustinian Nunnery, Nunnery, Priory, Farm Building, Agriculture And Subsistence, Agricultural Building