This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST22NW STAPLEGROVE CP STAPLEGROVE VILLAGE
Church of St John 5/228
Parish church. C13 chancel arch, lower stage of tower, some C15 work but mostly of the 1857 and 1873 restoration when vestry and North aisle added, porch 1902, enlarged 1961. South tower, West porch, 4 bay nave, S North aisle, North East organ chamber and vestry wing, 2 bay South East chapel, chancel, coursed blue lias rubble, quoins, slate roofs, scalloped tiles to vestry and chancel, coped verges. Crenellated 2 stage tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings, louvred lancet, pointed arch South door with continous double chamfer, C19 door, South chapel projecting with diagonal buttresses, two 2-light windows and Tudor arch headed priest's door, decorative spandrels, Jacobean style-panelled door, 2-light window East end of chapel, 3-light East end of chancel, 3-light East end of Vestry corridor, door in re-entrant angle of projecting vestry block, 2-light East end, North front of vestry 4-light window, pentice roof on West front leading to organist's door, three 2-light windows to North aisle, stepped buttresses between, 2 light West end and North front, single storey 2 bay porch with parapet gable over centre above double doors, lancet on North return, South 4 centred arch doorway with decorative spandrels inscribed ER1 1902, 3-light test end window, South wail of nave 2-light window and lancet flanking buttress, West wall of tower large blue lias tablet to John Jennings, died 1779, and his wife Mary with carved cherub's heads in roundels and pedimented Doulting top.
Interior: rendered. 4 bay nave with C19 octagonal piers to North aisle, C19 chamfered arches to South chapel, pointed, unmoulded chacel arch, hagioscope in chancel wall: tower arch blocked. C19 ribbed barrel vault roofs, stencilled decoration in chancel. Collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets, C19 benches, C19 font, finely carved C20 pulpit, wrought iron organ screen to North aisle on the theme of The Tree of Life by J. Horrobin, circa 1970. West window by Kempe, 1897. Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Kelly's Directory, 1897).
Listing NGR: ST2121926439
Copyright IoE Mr David Ford. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ford, David
Rights Holder: Ford, David
Lias, Rubble, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument