This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE1039SE BINGLEY OLD MAIN STREET (east side)
9/152 Church of All Saints 9/8/66
Church. Late C15 with C19 additions and alterations, restored C 1871. Large coursed gritstone, hammer-dressed stone to C19 work, stone slate roofs. Chancel with aisles, nave with clerestory and aisles, south porch and west tower. Perpendicular and Decorated style. Late C15 embattled tower with offset diagonal buttresses, clock and sundial. Pointed-arched west door set in base of tower with 3-light traceried window above and 2-light window below. Top stage, C19 with 2-light belfry openings.
Buttresses rise into crockets. 4-bay nave with 2-light windows to aisle much renewed C19. 3-light clerestorey windows. Gabled porch set in 1st bay of aisle. Lower and narrower chancel with lean-to 2-bay south aisle with 3-light windows. Set in return wall of aisle is 5-light late C14 window with panel tracery.
5-light East window with panel tracery. The "Ferrand Pew" added to north aisle cl831 in Gothic Revival style with embattled parapet and 2 octagonal chimneys. Interior: 5-bay Perpendicular arcades with slender octagonal piers. Wide pointed chancel arch.
2-bay arcades open to the chancel chapels. Good king-post roof.
Furnishings: Chancel enclosed by elaborately carved oak screen c1898. Carved pulpit in Perpendicular style. Pew in north aisle chapel dated 1681 and finely carved. Re-pewed c1899 when chancel floor was relaid with black and white marble. The chief object of interest is the pre-Conquest font, or cross pedestal within which is a Saxon stone. The side of the font is inscribed with 3 lines of Runes of uncertain meaning.
Stained glass: East window by Henry Holiday c1890; north chancel chapel window by Burne Jones for Morris and Co. c1873.
Monuments: several good monuments including one by Fisher of York, one by J. Gott c1835, another by Behnes c1848 and one to Benjamin Ferrands of St. Ives (q.v.), c1830.
A church adding much to the townscape of the old village centre of Bingley.
Listing NGR: SE1053939474
Copyright IoE Mr Alan V Whetton. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Whetton, Alan V
Rights Holder: Whetton, Alan V
Gritstone (Sandstone), Stone, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative