This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
GITTISHAM COMBE SY 19 NW
7/144 Carriage house and stable blocks - at Combe House
2 ranges of stables, a carriage house and wall and gatepiers comprising the stable block at Combe House, the east stable block used for housing. Circa 1815, built for the Reverend Thomas Putt who inherited in 1812 and died in 1832. The stable block replaced earlier stabling south west of Combe House. Flint rubble with red brick dressings, the front elevation of the carriage house large blocks of dressed flint brought to course; slate roofs, the stable roofs hipped at ends.
Plan: U plan: 3 ranges round courtyard. Carriage house to north, facing south, with 2 matching ranges to the east and west, the end of the courtyard completed by a wall with a gateway. An archway through the centre of the carriage house gives access to the service yard at the rear of Combe House.
Exterior: Single-storey carriage house with an impressive symmetrical 5-bay south front, gabled to the front in the centre above the round-headed archway which leads through the centre of the building. Carved armorial bearings with elaborate mantling in an oval stone frame in the gable. 2 round-headed archways to the carriage houses to the left, 2 to the right with 2-leaf plank doors with big strap hinges. The rear elevation of the carrriage house is also gabled in the centre but with brick rather than flint dressings to the round-headed archway and to the frame of the oculus in the gable which retains some of its original spoke glazing. The front elevations of the lofted stable ranges are also gabled to the front in the centre with alternating doors and windows in tall round-headed recesses on the ground floor, a loft loading door in the central gable and loft windows to left and right in rectangular recesses.
The east stable range is used for housing with no central gable. The wall completing the yard on the south side is flint rubble with square section gate-piers with moulded cornices, one gate-pier retains an original ball finial.
Interior: The stable in the east range inspected. This retains a herringbone brick floor and original loose box partitions with cast iron standards crowned with iron acorn finials.
A fine example of an early C19 stable yard, group value with Combe House and associated buildings.
Photograph in NMR.
Listing NGR: SY1430497850
Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Aaben-Reader. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Aaben-Reader, Anthony
Rights Holder: Aaben-Reader, Anthony
Brick, Flint, Rubble, Slate, Georgian Gate, Victorian Unassigned, Gate Pier, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Carriage House, Road Transport Site, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces