This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 4454 NE PLYMOUTH MORICE YARD, Devonport Dockyard 740-1/95/184 No.2 Store and former Furbisher's Shop (MO 68)
Carriage store and furbisher's shop, disused. c1776, probably by Major Dixon. Dunstone brown .rubble with- SW lateral stack; W block of squared limestone with limestone dressings to W block with rear stack, and slate hipped roofs. Open 4-cell plan store with W furbisher's shop a single-depth 2-cell plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7-window range with 3-window Wend, and lower 2-storey 5-window range furbisher's shop. Plinth and string, with flat arches to 4 ground-floor openings, 3 doorways at the centre and right-hand end, the main central entrance has C18 double doors, and horned 6/6-pane sashes, C19 metal casements to first floor Wend. Furbisher's shop is double fronted with rusticated quoins, plat band, raised surrounds to openings, with a 4-panel door and 6/6-pane sashes; blind gable and rear. Good dated cast-iron hopper. INTERIOR: store has a remarkably complete interior lined with boarding, divided into four by timber partitions with posts supporting transverse floor beams, flagged floor, an original central transverse dogleg stair to the back with uncut string and heavy stick balusters, and king and queen post roof. Furbisher's shop altered inside with a later left-hand stair, and original door surround to right-hand room. HISTORY: the Yard was laid out in 1720 by Colonel Lilly for the Board of Ordnance. Part of the late C18 expansion of the yard, the store is reported to have had wooden tramways and wall cranes; the furbisher's shop is a pair with the No.12 store ( qv). A notably unaltered example of a late C18 small naval store in the context of warehouse buildings of this period, within the best surviving C18 naval ordnance yard in the country. (Source: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 255-256).
Listing NGR: SX4485054781
Copyright IoE Catherine Brown. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, Catherine
Rights Holder: Brown, Catherine
Limestone, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Georgian Metal Workers Workshop, Industrial, Craft Industry Site, Workshop, Industrial Building, Carriage House, Transport, Road Transport Site