This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 4454 NE PLYMOUTH MORICE YARD, Devonport Dockyard 740-1/95/188 No.12 The Painted Canvas Store (MO 46)
House, now store. Dated 1777 on hopper, altered mid C20. Limestone ashlar with rubble sides and rear and corrugated sheet roof. Single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 5-window range. Double-fronted with rusticated quoins, plat band and raised surrounds to a heavy cross-boarded door and horned first-floor 2/2-pane and ground-floor 6/6-pane sashes. Good lead hopper head to left of the entrance. Windowless sides and rear without dressings. INTERIOR: fittings and roof altered mid C20. HISTORY: one of a pair of matching houses with the house of the former Furbisher's Shop attached to Store No.2 (qv). Part of the expansion of the yard in the 1770s, and following the formal plan established in the 1720s by Colonel Lilly. Part of the best surviving C18 naval ordnance yard in the country. (Source: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 248-254).
Listing NGR: SX4487054880
Copyright IoE Catherine Brown. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, Catherine
Rights Holder: Brown, Catherine
Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building