This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 4454 NE PLYMOUTH MORICE YARD, Devonport Dockyard 740-1/95/192 Steps, dwarf walls, lamps and retaining wall to gardens fronting Officers' Terrace
Retaining wall, steps and dwarf wall with 4 lamps. 1722, laid out by Col. Lilly, for the Board of Ordnance, built by Andrew Cowley, of London. Rubble and granite with iron railings and lamps. A symmetrical plan of steps with central path to wall fronting Officer's Terrace (qv). Partly cut back into solid rock by the excavation of the lower part of the Yard, forming two opposing flights of steps with iron railings. At the top, a granite path formerly with iron railings leads to the low wall fronting the Officers' Terrace, with cannon balls to the top of a low flight of stairs, and 4 gas lamps, 2 with open cast-iron latticework standards and lamps with gilded crown finials and two with moulded cast-iron shafts. HISTORY: connected the lower Gun Wharf to the upper level, and formed the front to the fine Officers' Terrace. The dwarf walls and lamps are part of the formal layout of the officers' level, while the steps, cut out of the dressed cliff to the rear of the Gun Wharf, are illustrative of the extent of the works carried out in building what is the most complete (18 naval ordnance yard in the country. (Source: Coad j: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 248-253).
Listing NGR: SX4488254834
Copyright IoE Catherine Brown. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, Catherine
Rights Holder: Brown, Catherine
Granite, Iron, Rubble, Stuart Revetment, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Gas Lamp, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Street Lamp, Street Furniture, Railings