This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA MESS ROAD (north west side), Shoebury Garrison
5/723 Commandant's House, Horseshoe Barracks 28.4.86 GV II
Commandant's House. 1851, built by D Nicholson and Sons, Wandsworth, extended 1860 and later. Yellow stock brick with brick ridge and gable stacks, and slate hipped and gabled roof. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. Rendered porch to left of centre has half-glazed door with overlight to right of gabled bay with added conservatory. Projecting eaves are supported on decorative cast-iron brackets. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: one of the first buildings on the site, for the superintendent, Shoebury was expanded in 1859 as the first British School of Gunnery. Included as an important part of a complete mid C19 barracks. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 351-353; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).
Listing NGR: TQ9383484606
This is part of the Series: IOE\Webber_John IOE Records for Webber, John; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE John Webber. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Webber, John
Rights Holder: Webber, John
Brick, Render, Slate, Victorian Military Residence, Domestic, Residential Building, Conservatory, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Glasshouse, Garden Building, Barracks